The iPhone OS 4.0 Feature Wish List
It doesn’t take long before the latest and greatest thing is released before we’re asking, “But what’d they miss?” And the iPhone OS 4.0 is no different. This iPhone OS 4.0 Beta Released to developers just this week, people are already starting to find holes in the firmware and find things that Apple may have missed. Here are just a few of the features appearing on many developers’ iPhone OS 4.0 Wish List.
- The push notification system. Push notifications with the iPhone OS 4 are little boxes that pop up and make a cutesy sound to let you know that something is happening, someone is trying to get a hold of you, or that there’s some action required on your part. This is a great system in theory but, if you wait too long the notifications tend to pile one on top of the other, making it impossible to see the notification below it. Good feature, but some tweaking is definitely in order.
- Multitasking on earlier versions of the iPhone and iPod Touch. While iPhone 3 GS users and the newest generation iPod Touch users will be able to take full advantage of the multitasking features on the iPhone OS 4.0, those with earlier versions of the gadgets won’t be able to experience the same benefits. Apple has claimed that this is due to battery life, but the multitasking feature has taken up so little of the battery on the models that have been able to use it, that many say that it’s a non-issue.
- An information screen. While many would like all of their information, such as emails and notifications, displayed while in “Lock Screen” mode while many others think that this would only make it easier for thieves to access valuable information. While displaying it automatically on the “Lock Screen” may not be a good option, it would be helpful to post these things in the “Spotlight” search as that’s already a fairly blank slate and would give people quick access to their information.
- Printer support. Simply put, more of it is needed. While it may seem impractical to print something from your iPod Touch, with inventions like the iPad, using this software to print is becoming more and more of reality. Apple must find a way to give their software the capability to support printers and printing software by directly using the device.
- The name itself. With so many more techie toys being able than just the iPhone, the iPhone is really only one device that can use the firmware. Some have suggested that a name such as the “Touch OS 4.0” would be more appropriate, as it would encompass all the touch devices that the firmware is compatible with.