Same as the jailbreak guide for Mac user, please read through the below notes before taking action to jailbreak your iPhone:
– This jailbreak guide is designed for Windows user.
– You can use this guide to jailbreak & unlock iPhone 2G (the 1st generation iPhone)
– You can use this guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G (Please note jailbreak only. You’ll need to use ultrasn0w to unlock it.)
– If you’re using lower version of firmware (e.g. 1.1, 2.0, 2.1 or 2.2), you can also follow the jailbreak procedures to upgrade the firmware to 3.0. But please note that you’ll have to re-install all the Cydia applications after upgrade. And, at the time I write this post, not all Cydia applications (e.g. Backgrounder, iRealSMS, MySMS, BossTool, Quickgold) are compatible with iPhone 3.0. So, if you have any cydia applications that you rely on, please ensure its compatibility before upgrading.
– For iPhone 3GS user, please do not use Redsn0w to jailbreak your new iPhone. Presently, there is no way to jailbreak iPhone 3GS.
Now, let’s get started.
To jailbreak iPhone 3.0 OS on Windows, we’ll use Redsn0w to jailbreak your iPhone. Developed by iPhone Dev Team, Redsn0w is a replacement of QuickPwn to jailbreak iPhone 3.0. The jailbreak process is very straightforward that any iPhone owner can manage the jailbreak.
Preparation for Jailbreak & Unlock
2. Download Redsn0w 0.8, Bootloader 3.9 & 4.6 and iPhone firmware 3.0 (2G / 3G / 3GS). Save them all in the same folder. And unzip redsn0w-win_0.8.zip. So make sure you have all the files in place before proceeding to next step.
Installing iPhone 3.0 OS via iTunes
3. Next, connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes. Select your iPhone in iTunes.
4. Now, hold the SHIFT key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the “iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw” for iPhone 2G or “iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw” for iPhone 3G or “iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw” for iPhone 3GS that you have downloaded in step 2 and click “Open”.
5. iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 3.0 (or what so called iPhone 3.0 OS). Keep your iPhone connected, don’t touch it and wait until the process completes.
Jailbreaking with Redsn0w
6. Now, your iPhone should be completely restored to firmware 3.0. But it’s not activated right now as you can see from iTunes.
So, what you’re going to do next is to use Redsn0w to activate and jailbreak it. But before proceeding to next step, please power off your iPhone (but keep it connected with USB cable).
7. Next, launch Redsn0w to start jailbreak & unlock.
8. Once launched, click the “Browse” button and select the firmware file that you have downloaded. For iPhone 2G, please locate the “iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw”. And, for iPhone 3G, please use “iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw”. If you’re jailbreaking iPhone 3GS, please use “iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw”.
Redsn0w will then verify the firmware file. If it’s correct, redsn0w will show the message “IPSW successfully identified”. Then click “Next” button to continue.
9. Next, you’ll need to select the jailbreak option. For iPhone 2G, please select both “Install Cydia” and “Unlock” option. For iPhone 3G, please only select “Install Cydia” option (actually the “Unlock” option is not available for iPhone 3G). Click “Next” button to proceed.
10. Please select the bootloader files that you have downloaded in step 2.
Put iPhone into DFU Mode
11. Next, redsn0w will instruct you to put your iPhone into DFU mode. Ensure your iPhone is connected (via USB) and it’s turned OFF. If you’re ready, click “Next” to continue.
12. Follow the instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode.
13. If you have successfully put the iPhone into DFU mode, redsn0w will automatically start the jailbreak process.
14. While jailbreaking, your iPhone will show downloading jailbreak data, flashing NOR, etc. And, just don’t touch your iPhone and keep waiting.
15. Once completed, redsn0w will let you know the jailbreak process is successful. Your iPhone will be restarted and automatically launch BootNeuter to perform unlock. This process will take 3-5 minutes to complete. Be patient. When complete, your iPhone will be rebooted.
16. Congratulation, you’ve completed the jailbreak process for iPhone 3.0 OS. As you can see from the home screen, you now get the new Voice memo application, which is introduced in iPhone 3.0.
17. Lastly, sync back your backup data with iTunes and restore all your contacts & SMS.
Hope you’ll have a smooth jailbreak process. As always, leave me message and share your jailbreak experience.